25 May 2009

a quick hi from vratsa!

hello! so, i've been in bulgaria for almost one full week now. our group of 62 volunteers spent the last few days in a mountain retreat learning about what we would be doing for the next 27 months. yesterday i moved in with my host family near Vratsa, which is north of Sofia. i have a mother and father who when they are not at work, manage a rather full garden and several goats, sheep and chickens. i didn't see a rooster, but there was one who definitely woke me up at 5 am! i also have a baba (grandmother) who is 85 and insists that i am tired, cold, or hungry, or all three. my first cultural faux pas was to put my bags on the floor, which goes against very strong bulgarian superstition. they didn't kick me out, so i guess i'm going ok.

bulgaria is great so far! i miss everyone in the states!


pieces from the peace corps...

6 comments:

  1. WoW! So good to "hear" you sounding so good! I Love You! MoM :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooooo!! I LOVE you! and am SO excited for you!
    P.S. - You look tired - are you tired? ;)
    i love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babers. D asked me if I needed to move there because of all the animals. I might have said yes. I am so glad you are well my little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, hey! Alli told me about your blog today. I love your blog name!! You're such a clever little monkey!!! Anyways, I loves you, and I miss you and I hope you're settling in well!!! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello anna, sam here...just checking in to see how things are going. it's been alomost two weeks now and i miss you. i see that you are enjoying this experience. everything is just fine at Dumser's...Bill's birthday was last tuesday so we had a party for him...i created a pop-up card of bill riding a dolphine...it was hilarious...Dani Young said she would send you it via pic message...i'm not sure how this blog works...i hope you recieve this message...if i hear no response i will try again and again until i hear from you anna.
    my e-mail is heyosam@gmail.com
    p.s.i am already in the process of planning a trip to Bulgaria this coming year.
    your friend,
    sam

    ReplyDelete