20 July 2009

among other things, i don't like chalga

i figure it's time for a pop culture update. bg is a pretty small country, so it makes sense that the variety of music that i've found on tv and on the radio is somewhat lacking. most of it is centered around a newer pop-folk sound called chalga, which uses some standard melodies of traditional bg songs, the sounds of reed instrments like clarinets and oboes, and mixes them with synthesized beats and a touch too much silicone for me. here is one song which i hear frequently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHTRIf8CRCI
i'll be the first to admit that when i moved to chile i hated reggeaton and now i can't get enough of it, but i'm just not sure i'll get used to this. on rare occaisions my ears have been pleased to hear some older songs with a lot less techno and a lot more brass, which remind me of a scene in the film "everything is illuminated" in which the characters drive through the sunflower fields of ukraine and that style of music plays in the background. theres something more traditional about it, something a little bit more honest.
then there's every once in a while when my ears get a real treat: american pop music. just for posterity, whenever "jai ho" comes on the tv i make a point to turn it up in honor of drew rosensweig.

cherish your musical choices folks, not all of us are so lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how much I miss you and how proud of you I am? Also, btw, Eric Schwind had the # of days counted from the day you left until you return in 2011...he asked me tonight if I knew exactly,,,like will it be the end of July in 2011 when you get released. I was telling them about your swearing in on July 24...tomorrow to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the former Yugoslavia this is called Turbofolk. I never grew to like it, either.

    Added you to my blogroll. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete